If you have ever seen the movie Madagascar, then you’ve seen a ring-tailed lemur.
They are probably the best known of the lemur species and are one of my favourite primates.
Here are 5 interesting facts that you may not know about them:
- Like all lemurs, they are only found in the wild on the island of Madagascar. I would love to visit there one day.
- They are excellent climbers and can jump from one tree to another. They can even climb steep rock-faces and cliffs.
- They are a Near Threatened species, meaning that we have to take good care of them if they are to remain in the wild. The biggest threat to them is habitat loss.
- They are omnivorous, meaning that they can eat meat and plants. They mostly eat fruit and leaves, but have also been seen eating insects and lizards.
- The males have stink fights. They use their scent glands to make their tails smell and then waft it at their opponents. I wish I could do that to my little brother!
I hope that you found these facts interesting.
Are there any interesting facts that you would like to share about ring-tailed lemurs?