I have always been fascinated by blue whales.
They are massive animals and seem to move through the ocean gracefully.
Here are 5 interesting facts about them:
- They are the biggest animal that has ever lived. At up to 100 feet long and weighing up to 200 tonnes, they are even bigger that the biggest dinosaurs. I have seen a skeleton of one at the Melbourne Museum and it was really huge.
- Their heart is as big as a car.
- They are an endangered species due to extensive whale hunting, but they seem to be slowly recovering.
- They live for a long time, with an average age estimated to be about 80-90 years.
- Despite their massive size, they eat really tiny krill. Krill is a very small shrimp-like creature and a hungry male blue whale can eat up to 4 tonnes of them a day.
I hope that you found these facts interesting.
Are there any interesting facts that you would like to share about blue whales?