This week was International Turtle Week, so I thought that I would write about my favourite turtle, the alligator snapping turtle, which comes from the southern part of the United States.
Here are 5 interesting facts about them:
- They have very powerful jaws that can bite a person’s fingers off.
- Their tongue looks like a worm and lures fish into their mouth.
- In addition to fish, alligator snapping turtles also eat frogs, snakes, worms, crayfish and even other turtles.
- A large adult can hold its breath and stay under water for up to 50 minutes.
- They are very big and adults have been weighed at 113 kgs.
I hope that you found these facts interesting and learned something new.
Are there any interesting facts that you would like to share about alligator snapping turtles?