I want to write about meerkats today because they are a very cute species and I love watching them when I visit the zoo.
Here are five interesting facts about them:
- Despite their name, meerkats are not cats, but are a species of mongoose.
- They live in desert areas in Africa and can be found in groups of up to 50 animals.
- Only the main female in the group is allowed to have babies and they have between 1-5 pups at a time.
- Meerkats mainly eat insects, grubs and scorpions. They are immune to the dangerous venom of scorpions that would usually harm a person.
- Families usually have one meerkat looking out for predators, such as eagles or jackals. When the lookout makes an alarm call, the entire group quickly runs and hides.
I hope that you found these facts interesting and learned something new.
Are there any other interesting facts that you would like to share about meerkats?