Related to hawks and falcons, secretarybirds are incredibly cool and unique birds with their funny feathers and long legs.
Here are five interesting facts about them:
- The secretarybird gets its name from the feathers behind its ears which reminded early naturalists of a secretary’s old-fashioned quill-pens that they used to put behind their ears.
- They are a very tall bird, growing up to 1.2 metres tall, which is about the same height as my 6-year-old brother, Logan.
- They are very fit. Although they can fly, they prefer to hunt for their prey on foot and can walk for up to 30 kilometres in a day.
- Secretarybirds eat large insects, small mammals, lizards and even snakes. They use their powerful legs and talons to stomp on their prey until they are dead.
- They have a wide range and can be found on the open grasslands of southern Africa.
I hope that you found these facts interesting and learned something new.
Are there any other interesting facts that you would like to share about secretarybirds?