I like big animals, so today I want to write about the colossal squid, one of the largest animals roaming the oceans.
Here are five interesting facts about them:
- Measuring up to 46 feet long, they are the largest invertebrate in the world.
- They have the largest eyes in the animal kingdom, measuring up to 12 inches across.
- Despite their massive size, colossal squid weren’t discovered until 1925 when two tentacles were found inside a sperm whale.
- Sperm whales are the only predator of adults, but they put up a fight, with scars often seen on the backs of sperm whales from the sharp hooks of their tentacles.
- They are found in the deep, freezing cold waters around Antarctica and up to the southern parts of South America, South Africa and New Zealand.
I hope that you found these facts interesting and learned something new.
Are there any other interesting facts that you would like to share about colossal squid?