Every time I open a book about animals, the first animal that I find is an aardvark, so I thought that I should write about them today.
Here are five interesting facts about them:
- The word aardvark is an Afrikaans word meaning “earth pig.”
- They have a very long sticky tongue that measures 30 centimetres long. This long tongue enables them to eat up to 50,000 ants and termites per night.
- Their very long ears and excellent hearing which helps them to hear predators such as hyenas, lions and leopards, giving them a chance to dig a hole and escape.
- Aardvarks have very strong legs and claws that make them very good diggers. They can dig holes faster than a few men with shovels.
- They are widespread throughout Africa, but are rarely seen because they are nocturnal.
I hope that you found these facts interesting and learned something new.
Are there any other interesting facts that you would like to share about aardvarks?