Today I want to write about a cute little turtle called the common box turtle.
Here are five interesting facts about them:
- They get their name from their shell which has a hinge, enabling it to close completely, protecting the turtle from predators.
- These little guys grow to only 22 cm long. It’s hard to tell the males from the females, but one way is to look at their eyes. Most males have red or dark orange eyes, while the females have yellowish-brown eyes.
- In hot weather, they use saliva to keep their head and front legs cool and wee on their back legs to keep them cool. Disgusting!
- They are the official reptile of three U.S. states, North Carolina, Tennessee and Missouri.
- There are six sub-species of common box turtles, living throughout the U.S. and Mexico. They were once widespread and considered common, but are now vulnerable to extinction due to habitat loss, getting run over by cars and being illegally collected for the pet trade.
I hope that you found these facts interesting and learned something new.
Are there any other interesting facts that you would like to share about common box turtles?