Bats make up about 25% of all species of mammals and the giant golden-crowned flying fox is one of the coolest bats in the world.
Here are five interesting facts about them:
- They are the largest from over 1,200 species of bats, with a wingspan of about 5 feet.
- Like most flying foxes, they mainly eat fruit, with figs their favourite. They travel long distances at night to find food and have an important role to play in the environment as they spread seeds in their droppings throughout the forest as they fly.
- They spend a lot of time around water and use their large wings to scoop up water to wash themselves.
- They only live on a few islands in the Philippines.
- The Giant Golden-Crowned Flying Fox is considered endangered, mainly due to habitat loss and excessive hunting.
I hope that you found these facts interesting and learned something new.
Are there any other interesting facts that you would like to share about giant golden-crowned flying foxes?