Today I want to write about one of the cutest animals in the world, the South American coati.
Here are five interesting facts about them:
- These cute little mammals grow to about 67 cm long with a tail that is about the same length.
- Coatis are closely related to raccoons, except that they have a much longer nose which they use to sniff out food in small holes and crevices.
- They are omnivores and look for food in trees and on the ground. They eat fruit, insects, spiders and scorpions. They have been seen using their clever paws to roll around tarantulas to get rid of their annoying hairs before eating them.
- Males often live by themselves, whilst females and young males live in groups of up to 30 animals.
- As their name suggests, South American Coatis live in forests throughout South America. Like the Chinese Water Deer, they have also been introduced to England.
I hope that you found these facts interesting and learned something new.
Are there any other interesting facts that you would like to share about South American coatis?