I play 40K with my dad and have a Space Marine army, so I was very excited when I found out about a beautiful bird called the ultramarine lorikeet.
Here are five interesting facts about them:
- These pretty little birds only grow to 18 cm long.
- Similar to other species of lorikeets, these guys have a brush-like tip on the end of their tongue which helps them to eat nectar and pollen from flowers. They also like eating fruit.
- They are very noisy and can be easily seen in the top of the forest canopy.
- At nesting time, they lay two eggs in tree hollows.
- Ultramarine lorikeets are only found on a few small islands in French Polynesia. They are considered endangered due to habitat loss and the introduction of black rats which eat their eggs. The only safe population of them is on the island of Ua Huka, which is rat free. I hope that it stays that way.
I hope that you found these facts interesting and learned something new.
Are there any other interesting facts that you would like to share about ultramarine lorikeets?