Today I want to write about a cute, furry and very unique little animal, the red and white giant flying squirrel.
Here are five interesting facts about them:
- The largest of the giant squirrels, these wonderful rodents can grow to over a metre long, if you include their very long tails.
- They are nocturnal, coming out at night to eat nuts, fruit, leaves, insects and insect larvae.
- Red and white giant flying squirrels live in dense forests and move from tree to tree by gliding. They use a large flap of skin between their wrists and ankles to glide about 10-20 metres, although when gliding downhill, they can go much further. They use their flattened tail to steer as they go.
- They nest in high tree hollows and have a litter size of 1-2 young.
- Found in the mountainous forests of China and Taiwan, these beautiful animals are not considered endangered.
I hope that you found these facts interesting and learned something new.
Are there any other interesting facts that you would like to share about red and white giant flying squirrels?