One of my readers, Mia requested a post about blobfish.
Here are five interesting facts about them:
- These strange looking fish are only about 30 cm long.
- They get their very unusual look from their very soft fleshy body which lacks muscle or much of a skeleton, making them very floppy when they are taken out of the water. They look more like a normal fish in their deep sea habitat.
- They live at such deep depths that they don’t have the normal air bladder that most fish use to move up and down in the water. If they did, the air bladder would explode because of the extreme water pressure that is found so far down.
- Blobfish have very large mouths that they use to catch crustaceans as they swim slowly along the floor of the ocean.
- Blobfish are found in deep water between 600 and 1,200 metres below the surface off the coast of Australia and New Zealand. They are not considered endangered at the moment.
I hope that you found these facts interesting and learned something new.
Are there any other interesting facts that you would like to share about blobfish?