I really like chocolate, so today I want to write about a really cool animal called the chocolate chip sea cucumber.
Here are five interesting facts about them:
- Also known as the three-rowed sea cucumber, these strange animals grow up to 45 cm long. They get their name from the small brown spots on their body.
- They have a large mouth surrounded by bushy tentacles that help them to collect their food from the bottom of the ocean. They have an important role to play in cleaning up their environment.
- When threatened by predators, they have the ability to eject some of their internal organs from their bum to defend themselves. They are then able to re-grow the organs that were ejected within a couple of weeks.
- They don’t taste like chocolate chips or cucumbers, so I wouldn’t recommend eating them.
- Chocolate chip sea cucumbers live in shallow waters throughout the Caribbean. They are reasonably common and are not considered in danger of extinction.
I hope that you found these facts interesting and learned something new.
Are there any other interesting facts that you would like to share about chocolate chip sea cucumbers?