If there was a competition for the cutest animal on the planet, the Ili pika would have to be a chance to win.
Here are five interesting facts about them:
- These cute little guys grow to up to 20 cm long, have large ears and small brown spots on their little grey bodies.
- First discovered in 1983, no Ili pikas had been seen in over 20 years before they were rediscovered late in 2014 by a group of scientists in China. They live in remote areas on cliff faces which is why they are so hard to find.
- They eat grasses, herbs and plants, and stockpile hay in their burrows to eat during the cold winter months.
- They are much quieter than other species of pikas, which means that they are unable to warn each other when predators are near.
- They are only found in a few areas of western China and it is estimated that there are only about 1,000 left in the wild, with the numbers dropping. They are considered endangered and need help to stop them from becoming extinct.
I hope that you found these facts interesting and learned something new.
Are there any other interesting facts that you would like to share about Ili pikas?