Today I want to write about a really athletic cat from Africa, the serval.
Here are five interesting facts about them:
- These amazing cats grow up to about 90 cm long.
- They have very long back legs that help them to jump up to 3 metres in the air so that they can catch birds and large flying insects. They are also able to jump 3.6 metres long from a stationary position.
- Servals have the largest ears of any cat, giving them excellent hearing so that they can catch small rodents in the long grass that they live in. In addition to birds and rodents, they can also catch fish and frogs, giving them a very varied diet.
- They time their breeding so that they give birth to 1-4 kittens just before the local rodents that they eat start to breed.
- Servals are found in most African countries south of the Sahara. They can be found in grasslands near water and are reasonably common, although their numbers are dropping due to hunting and habitat loss.
I hope that you found these facts interesting and learned something new.
Are there any other interesting facts that you would like to share about servals?