Today I want to write about a really cool snake that can stand as tall as a person, the king cobra.
Here are five interesting facts about them:
- These huge snakes grow up to 5.8 metres long, making them the longest venomous snake in the world.
- King cobras mostly eat other snakes, although they also eat lizards, rodents and birds.
- These guys are quite secretive, but when threatened they rear up to the height of a grown person, show their fangs, spread their hood and make a strange growling sound. Their venom is very toxic and they are capable of giving a fatal bite to humans.
- At breeding time, female king cobras are very protective. They lay 20-50 eggs in a nest of twigs and leaves. They guard the eggs whilst the rotting leaves incubate the eggs. The brightly coloured babies are about 50 cm long and are fully venomous.
- King cobras are found in forests throughout southern Asia. Despite their large range they are considered vulnerable to extinction due to hunting and habitat loss.
I hope that you found these facts interesting and learned something new.
Are there any other interesting facts that you would like to share about king cobras?