One of my friends from school wanted me to write about an amazing frog called the ornate horned frog.
Here are five interesting facts about them:
- These large frogs can grow up to 16 cm long. Females are much larger than males.
- Ornate horned frogs hunt by waiting for prey to come near. They have a huge mouth and a big appetite, eating anything that they can, including mice, small lizards, insects and spiders.
- During the dry season, they burrow in the ground and hibernate for up to 6 months without eating.
- At breeding time, females lay up to 2,000 eggs in water. After hatching, it only takes about two weeks for the tadpoles to turn into froglets.
- Ornate horned frogs are found in Argentina, Brazil and Uruguay, but their numbers are dropping due to habitat loss and collection for the pet trade.
I hope that you found these facts interesting and learned something new.
Are there any other interesting facts that you would like to share about ornate horned frogs?