Today I want to write about a cute little mammal, the Pyrenean desman.
Here are five interesting facts about them:
- These cute little guys are closely related to moles and measure about 16 cm long and have a tail that is about the same length.
- Pyranean desmans are very well suited to hunting in water at night, with webbed back paws, nostrils and ears that can close underwater and a long sensitive nose that they use to detect their prey.
- They eat insects, snails, shrimp and other small invertebrates.
- Pyranean desmans live in pairs and can breed more than once every year, with 1-5 babies born with each litter.
- They live in the mountain streams of Spain, France and Portugal. They are considered vulnerable to extinction due to damage to their environment and introduced species.
I hope that you found these facts interesting and learned something new.
Are there any other interesting facts that you would like to share about Pyrenean desmans?