Today I want to write about a beautiful butterfly called the zebra swallowtail.
Here are five interesting facts about them:
- These beautiful butterflies have a wingspan of up to 10 cm across. Adults only live for about 6 months.
- They can have two to three broods per year and the eggs of the zebra swallowtail are laid singly underneath pawpaw leaves. The caterpillars live entirely on pawpaw plants.
- The caterpillars have a gland at the back of their heads that releases bad-smelling chemicals to stop predators from eating them.
- Adults don’t have very long noses, so they feed on flowers that are short and flat.
- Zebra swallowtails are found throughout southeastern USA in swamps and fields near pawpaw trees.
I hope that you found these facts interesting and learned something new.
Are there any other interesting facts that you would like to share about zebra swallowtails?