Today is Halloween, so I am writing about a very scary sounding animal, the common vampire bat.
Here are five interesting facts about them:
- These strange looking guys grow to about 9 cm long and have a wingspan of about 40 cm.
- They have razor sharp teeth that are use to make a small cut in other animals. They then drink the blood that comes from the cut, but they don’t suck it as most people think, but lap it up with their tongue. Their saliva has a chemical that stops the blood from clotting. Strangely, they actually have the fewest number of teeth out of all bat species. They also have special sensors that help them to find the best places to find a vein to bite into for their blood. Even though they look scary, the worst thing about them is that they spread diseases like rabies to livestock.
- They live in groups and look after each other through grooming and regurgitating blood for each other if one of them is starving.
- They are one of the most capable crawlers out of all bat species, using their wings to jump around on the ground.
- Common vampire bats are found from northern Mexico down through Central and South America.
I hope that you found these facts interesting and learned something new.
Are there any other interesting facts that you would like to share about common vampire bats?