I recently had a request to write about a mole, so I chose the star-nosed mole to write about.
Here are five interesting facts about them:
- These strange looking animals grow to about 20 cm long.
- They are almost completely blind, so they use the 22 tentacles around their nose to detect prey. They have 25,000 sensors in their tentacles, making them very sensitive.
- Star-nosed moles are excellent swimmers and were the first mammal that was proven to be able to smell underwater. Their powerful front claws help them when swimming and digging.
- They hunt small insects, fish, worms and other invertebrates that they find in the water.
- Star-nosed moles are quite common and can be found in small colonies throughout south eastern Canada and north eastern United States, where they prefer damp soil near water.
I hope that you found these facts interesting and learned something new.
Are there any other interesting facts that you would like to share about star-nosed moles?