Today I want to write about a parrot that has beautiful colouring, the blue-streaked lory.
Here are five interesting facts about them:
- These beautiful parrots grow up to 31 cm long.
- They use their long tongues to eat nectar from flowers. They also eat seeds and fruit. They can cause a lot of damage to crops, making them very unpopular with local farmers.
- At breeding time, they lay 2-3 eggs in a tree hollow.
- Like other species of lory, these guys live in groups. They also live for a long time and can reach 30 years of age.
- Blue-streaked lories are found in forests on the Tanimbar Islands and Babar in Indonesia. They are considered near threatened, mainly due to poaching for the pet trade and habitat loss.
I hope that you found these facts interesting and learned something new.
Are there any other interesting facts that you would like to share about blue-streaked lories?