Today I want to write about a strange, exotic looking frog, the turtle frog.
Here are five interesting facts about them:
- These strange looking frogs only grow to about 5 cm long.
- Turtle frogs get their name from their unusual shaped body, which looks like a turtle without a shell.
- They live in dry, sandy areas and only eat termites. They have very strong front legs which helps them to dig their burrows and break into termite mounds.
- They breed in very deep burrows, with the female laying up to 50 eggs. The babies don’t have a tadpole stage, but develop fully in the egg and hatch as little frogs.
- Turtle frogs are found in the south-west region of Western Australia and they are quite common.
I hope that you found these facts interesting and learned something new.
Are there any other interesting facts that you would like to share about turtle frogs?