Today I want to write about a monkey that has really cool hair, the gelada.
Here are five interesting facts about them:
- These amazing monkeys are closely related to baboons and grow up to 75 cm tall, with a tail that is 50 cm long. The males are much larger than the females.
- They are very special as they are the only primate that grazes on grass and seeds, sitting on the ground and pulling the grass out by hand.
- They live in very large groups of up to 60 animals, made up of a dominant male and a harem of females. They communicate with each other by chattering away and flip their lips back to show off their large teeth when they are feeling aggressive.
- A lot of female primates get bright red bums during breeding time, but because geladas spend most of their time sitting down, they have a patch on their chest that turns bright red when they are ready for breeding.
- Geladas are only found in the highlands of Ethiopia, but they are reasonably common throughout their range.
I hope that you found these facts interesting and learned something new.
Are there any other interesting facts that you would like to share about geladas?