Every year, scientists discover thousands of new animal species. One of the cool species that was found this year was the ruby seadragon.
Here are five interesting facts about them:
- Only four ruby seadragons have ever been found and the first one was 24 cm long.
- They are related to the seahorse family, which is a very unusual family because the males become pregnant with the eggs until the babies are ready to be born. The specimen that led to their discovery was a pregnant male, with dozens of babies in his pouch.
- The other two species of seadragons live in shallow waters, but these guys have been found in depths of over 50 metres.
- Their dark red colour is thought to help them remain camouflaged at such deep depths.
- Ruby seadragons are found off the coast of Western Australia and they are the first new species of seadragon to be discovered in over 150 years.
I hope that you found these facts interesting and learned something new.
Are there any other interesting facts that you would like to share about ruby seadragons?