Here are five interesting facts about them:
- These amazing animals grow up to 1 metre tall and 1.3 metres long, making them the largest canine species in South America.
- They use their long legs to spot prey in the long grass where they live. They flush their prey out by tapping the ground with their paws.
- Maned wolves hunt alone and catch a range of prey, including rabbits, armadillos, rodents, birds and even fish. Unusual for a wolf, about half of their diet is made up of fruit.
- They have very smelly wee and use it to mark their territories and remind them where they have buried leftover food.
- Maned wolves are found in the South American countries of Brazil, Peru, Argentina and Bolivia. Their numbers are dropping, mainly due to habitat loss.
I hope that you found these facts interesting and learned something new.
Are there any other interesting facts that you would like to share about maned wolves?