Today I want to write about a cute little marsupial that has very unusual eating habits, the green ringtail possum.
Here are five interesting facts about them:
- These plump little possums grow to about 34 cm long. Their tail isn’t quite as long as other members of their family.
- Green ringtail possums aren’t really green, but their long yellow, black and white fur gives them an olive green look.
- Most possums spend the day hiding in holes in trees, but not these guys. They spend the day sleeping on branches, where they remain well camouflaged.
- They mainly eat leaves, but also eat figs sometimes. They are able to eat leaves that are very toxic to humans. They are very unusual in that they also eat their own poo.
- Green ringtail possums are found high in the rainforest canopies of northeast Queensland, where they are quite common.
I hope that you found these facts interesting and learned something new.
Are there any other interesting facts that you would like to share about green ringtail possums?