Today I want to write about a really cool flying animal, the Japanese flying squid.
Here are five interesting facts about them:
- These squid have a mantle length of about 50 cm. Females are larger than males. They have 8 arms and 2 tentacles. They also have 3 hearts.
- Japanese flying squid are able to leap out of the water and fly for about 30 metres at a time.
- They mainly eat small fish, but will also eat smaller squid.
- They only live for a little over a year, just enough time to grow into adults and breed. The females lay about 4,000 eggs and the eggs hatch after just a few days.
- Japanese flying squid live in the northern Pacific Ocean in the cold waters of Japan, China and Russia.
I hope that you found these facts interesting and learned something new.
Are there any other interesting facts that you would like to share about Japanese flying squid?