Today I want to write about an amazing snail that you don’t want to find in your back garden, the giant Ghana snail.
Here are five interesting facts about them:
- Also known as the giant tiger land snail, these huge snails have a shell that grows up to 20 cm long, making them the largest land snail in the world.
- They are considered an excellent source of protein and are often sold in markets for food.
- Giant Ghana snails have a very big appetite and eat a wide range of plants, including leaves, flowers, grass and fruit.
- They have male and female body parts and can lay between 30-300 eggs at a time.
- As their name suggests, they are found in the west African nation of Ghana and can also be found in nearby Sierre Leone, Benin, Togo, Nigeria and Ivory Coast. They have also been introduced to the United States and a few Caribbean Islands, where they are considered pests.
I hope that you found these facts interesting and learned something new.
Are there any other interesting facts that you would like to share about giant Ghana snails?