Today I want to write about a beautiful species of butterfly, the Ulysses butterfly
Here are five interesting facts about them:
- Also known as mountain blue butterflies, these lovely members of the swallowtail family have a wingspan of up to 13 cm.
- The top of their wings is bright blue, whilst underneath, they are dull brown. They keep their wings closed when they aren’t flying to stay camouflaged.
- The caterpillars are green with white markings, which helps them to camouflage on the leaves that they eat.
- Males are attracted to the colour blue and will fly towards anything blue that they see from 30 metres away.
- Ulysses butterflies are found in tropical rainforests in northeast Queensland, New Guinea and on a few Pacific Islands.
I hope that you found these facts interesting and learned something new.
Are there any other interesting facts that you would like to share about Ulysses butterflies?