Today I want to write about beautifully coloured pelican, the Peruvian pelican.
Here are five interesting facts about them:
- These beautiful birds grow up to 1.5 metres long and weight about 7 kg.
- They mostly eat fish, especially anchovies and will gather in large numbers where the fish are abundant.
- Peruvian pelicans are badly impacted by El Nino weather patterns which warm the water, causing the fish that they eat to swim in deeper water where it is cooler for them. This means that they are too deep for the pelicans to catch and they can starve to death.
- At breeding time, they gather in large colonies, often on off-shore islands and lay 2-3 eggs in a nest on the ground.
- Peruvian pelicans are found along the west coast of South America, from Peru to Chile where they are quite common.
I hope that you found these facts interesting and learned something new.
Are there any other interesting facts that you would like to share about Peruvian pelicans?