Today I want to write about a cool little animal, the purple sea urchin.
Here are five interesting facts about them:
- These amazing little animals grow up to 10 cm across.
- They have very strong jaws on the bottom of their body that scrapes along the bottom of the sea and eats kelp.
- The spines on a purple sea urchin catch floating food and passes it along to the mouth.
- Although their spikes give them some protection, they are still eaten by sea otters, spiny lobsters, sea stars and the California sheephead.
- Purple sea urchins are found mainly in kelp forests in the Pacific Ocean along the west coast of North America from Mexico up to Canada where they are quite common.
I hope that you found these facts interesting and learned something new.
Are there any other interesting facts that you would like to share about purple sea urchins?