This week at school I was learning about Mexico and I found out about a really amazing species of fish that is found there called the Mexican blindcat.
Here are five interesting facts about them:
- These strange looking fish grow to about 9 cm long and have pink scaleless skin.
- Mexican blindcats live in underground caves so they have no eyes. However, they have an excellent sense of hearing and smell and are very sensitive to movement in the water, helping them to find their food in the dark.
- They are a member of the catfish family and have four barbels around their mouth.
- Males have been seen fighting with each other, locking their mouths together for hours at a time.
- Mexican blindcats are found in freshwater in caves and wells in a small area of Mexico. They are considered endangered due to pollution in the water.
I hope that you found these facts interesting and learned something new.
Are there any other interesting facts that you would like to share about Mexican blindcats?