Today I want to write about a strange looking monkey called the toque macaque.
Here are five interesting facts about them:
- These small monkeys grow to about 53 cm long, with a tail that is even longer. Males are slightly larger than females.
- They get their name from their funny looking hair on top of their heads which looks like a brimless hat called a toque.
- Toque macaques eat a wide range of food, including fruit, leaves, crops and insects. They have a strange habit of stuffing food in their cheeks to be eaten later.
- They live in groups of about 20-25. The groups have a strict hierarchy, with higher ranking monkeys getting the best feeding spots. When the groups get too big, they argue a lot until some monkeys leave the group to start heir own.
- Toque macaques are only found on the island of Sri Lanka and they are considered endangered due to habitat loss and poaching.
I hope that you found these facts interesting and learned something new.
Are there any other interesting facts that you would like to share about toque macaques?