I’ve been watching the Rio Olympics and writing about animals that are based on the colours of the Olympic medals, so today I am writing about a beautiful bird that is only found in Brazil, the golden parakeet.
Here are five interesting facts about them:
- These beautiful medium-sized parrots grow up to 34 cm long.
- They feed on a wide range of fruits, berries, seeds, flowers, nuts and maize.
- Golden parakeets live in small communities, and females even sometimes lay their eggs in the same tree hollow nest. The entire group then helps to raise the chicks and protect them from toucans and other predators.
- Due to their lovely colouring, they are a very popular cage bird, where they are often known as the Queen of Bavaria conure.
- Golden parakeets are only found in the rainforests of the Amazon Basin. They are considered endangered due to habitat loss and illegal poaching for the pet trade.
I hope that you found these facts interesting and learned something new.
Are there any other interesting facts that you would like to share about golden parakeets?