Today I want to write about an amazing looking bird, the Luzon bleeding-heart.
Here are five interesting facts about them:
- These beautiful little birds are a member of the pigeon family and grow to about 28 cm long.
- Luzon bleeding-hearts get their name from the mark on their chest feathers that makes them look as though they are bleeding.
- They spend most of their time on the ground, feeding on seeds, fruit, insects and snails.
- At breeding time, they lay 2 eggs in nests made low to the ground. Like other pigeons, they feed the newly hatched chicks crop milk for the first few days of their life.
- Luzon bleeding-hearts are found on the island of Luzon in the Philippines. Their numbers are dropping due to loss of forests and poaching for the pet trade.
I hope that you found these facts interesting and learned something new.
Are there any other interesting facts that you would like to share about Luzon bleeding-hearts?